Re: strange delays on console logouts (tty != 1)

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 20:13:22 EST

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 02:36:50AM +0200, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> Though it would be nice to be able to strace init too...

it has potential problems with what signals can be sent to pid 1 are
restricted

> It is strange. After logout it always comes up after 10 seconds
> delay in first agetty run expires.

that's usually but now always the case for me ... based on feedback
it's not always the case of others either

> Do not you start some multithreaded daemons from shell which gets
> later 'stuck'?

no

> Maybe that controlling terminal handling is not 100% yet. Do not
> some daemons "randomly" disappear since you use vhangup in agetty?

no

also, login uses vhangup too --- and has done for some time, so i
don't expect that this will change much at all

> AFAIK controlling terminal is not available through /proc :-(

i'm not sure it would be useful if it was, i guess maybe some of of
O_EXCL open hack might work to say we want to open the tty and fail if
anyone else has it open though

al?

--cw