Re: strange delays on console logouts (tty != 1)

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 12:54:36 EST

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:17:29AM +0100, Russell King wrote:

> The first one is of particular note, because it is the cause of the
> GROSS hack in agetty, which according to the comments is also in
> gdm.

I've emailed the debian util-linux maintainer about this.

> I wonder really if the problem was elsewhere, and if Debian wanted
> to take care of this problem, why they didn't just take the serial
> line locking solution (really: s/serial line/tty/) and apply it to
> agetty / gdm.

It locking really the way to do this? What's wrong with vhangup?

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 03:54:24PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> However, my agetty source does not contain the string VT_OPENQRY. I
> suppose this is a private Debian change. Maybe you should contact
> Debian people to find out who did this and why.

Sorry, I used 'apt-get source' to get the source code and completely
forgot about the fact it would patch the package.

> (And/or try the vanilla agetty to see whether the problems go away.)

Vanilla will work as expected. It still doesn't seem to prevent the
case where someone could terminate and leave a process running that
would take input later on though... at least not that I can see.

Anyhow, this for not is clearly a userspace issue so sorry about all
the noise people.

--cw