Re: usb-storage unplanned unplugging. (2.6.5)

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 21:55:11 EST

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:18:52PM +0100, Ian Stirling wrote:
> What should happen when I unplug a USB-storage device with mounted
> filesystems that are in use?

Not good things :)

But all should be well once you unmount those mounted filesystems. Did
you try that?

> At the moment, it simply kills the USB port that it's on, it won't
> recognise anything plugged into it later. Sort-of understandably, the
> scsi-module won't now unload, nor will the usb-storage or USB ones.

That's not good at all. Can you try 2.6.6-rc3 and see if it does the
same thing? If so, can you send us the kernel debug messages that
happen when you yank out the device, and then unmount the filesystems?

thanks,

greg k-h