Re: Possible to delay boot process to boot from USB subsystem?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 23:55:46 EST

Hi Randy,

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 07:32:05PM -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> I wish that I had a way to test this patch.
> Apparently Willy does, so I recommend his patch.... :)

You should never recommend anything from me to anyone if you want to
keep some friends :-)

> with one change:
>
> change
> +static int setuptime; /* time(ms) to let devices set up before root mount */

> +static int setuptime = 10000; /* time(ms) to let devices set up before root mount */
>

> or 60000 (= 1 minute). Whatever is comfortable for you.
>
> Willy, it seems that some default value would be good there.

It was intentionnal, I don't like to change the default kernel behaviour.
So by default it's 0 and behaves as if the patch was not applied. However,
I think that a very small value (a few seconds) may be acceptable by default.
Of course, if Bill doesn't use the patch anywhere else, he should be fine
with a higher value.

Another (dirty) hack would be to export this variable, keep it to 0 by
default, and have usb_hub_thread() set it to a reasonable value when
starting khubd.

Regards,
Willy