Re: Random file I/O regressions in 2.6

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 06:42:05 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Sorry, I do not understand that paragraph at all.

All forms or pagecache population need to examine the pagecache to find out
if the page is already there. This involves pagecache lookups. We want
the read code to "learn" that the requested pages are all coming from cache
and to stop doing those lookups altogether.

Yeah I think I have an idea of what the basic problems are,
but I'd have to understand things better before I know if I
am really on the right track.

My idea would probably also involve redoing some of the code
code too, so at the moment I don't think I have time. If your
simple fix works though, then that sounds good.