Re: Read from file fails

From: Bart Samwel
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 05:50:14 EST

Libor Vanek wrote:

OK - how can I "notify" userspace process? Signals are "weak" - I need
to send some data (filename etc.) to process. One solution is "on this
signal call this syscall and result of this syscall will be data you
need" - but I'd prefer to handle this in one "action".

My first thoughts are to make it a blocking call.

You mean like:
- send signal to user-space process
- wait until user-space process pick ups data (filename etc.), creates copy of file (or whatever) and calls another system call that he's finished
- let kernel to continue syscall I blocked
?

No, more like:

- user-space process calls syscall, which blocks.
- kernel captures a file write event, puts the info in some kind of queue, wakes up the user-space process and then waits for some kind of acknowledgement to be returned so that it may continue.
- user-space process wakes up, the syscall completes, and passes a filename etc. to user-space. Copies the file, and calls a syscall to signify "hey, I'm done with that file". This syscall wakes up the kernel stuff that was waiting for this acknowledgement.
- file write event continues
- repeat from start

--Bart