RE : 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 : REGPARAM forced => no external module with someobject code only

From: Eric Valette
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 06:57:49 EST

Andrew,

The Changelog says nothing really important but forcing REGPARAM is rather important : it breaks any external module using object only code that calls a kernel function.

I do not want to enter the "binary module" debate just reports facts so that people be aware of the problem.

I have a bewan PCI ST ADSL modem. They provide a linux driver that works with 2.6 like a charm but contains an object file. And of course code located in this object only file breaks because it calls alloc_obj:

alloc_obj:kmalloc failed,size=-742088876,type=abc0

Complete stack trace attached... (that shows they do not expect kmalloc to fail :-( )

Do not blame Bewan : they have always been very responsive and do provide an almost GPL compliant module that works with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels like a charm. In particular, fixing the code to support 2.6 module generation scheme has only taken in a couple of weeks after I politely asked to the maintainer sending an initial patch. They are just dependent on STMicro (if I remember correctly) for the library that drives the ATM chipset and apparently they failed to ask them to open up their code...

Maybe they can just ask them to compile with regpram=3 but anyway as an end-user I have no solution...

I will report the bug to my contact...

--
__
/ ` Eric Valette

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76
E-mail: eric.valette@xxxxxxx