Re: Possible to delay boot process to boot from USB subsystem?

From: Bill Catlan
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 09:19:19 EST

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for the feedback. I was starting to think the same thing myself, but it
turns out the root cause is the same thing - namely, slow startup of the USB
storage subsystem.

The differing symptom (i.e., different error messages) is entirely due to the
difference in kernel versions. I got my setup (2.4.26) working with Willy's
patch. I am going to re-test Randy's patch as I needed to modify the "preload"
order of my modules in my initrd image in order to even get Willy's patch to
work. With the reordering, I suspect (50/50 chance I think) that Randy's patch
for the 2.4.22 kernel may work on the 2.4.26 kernel as well.

I originally thought that I had compiled the necessary scsi and usb stuff into
the kernel, but upon eventually revisiting my kernel config file I learned along
the way and to my chagrin that I had left them as modules, adding this slight
complication.

Stay tuned for our next episode! :)

Bill