Re: [2.6.6 PATCH] Exposing EFI memory map

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 07:55:14 EST

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:22:46PM +0530, Sourav Sen wrote:
> The following simple patch creates a read-only file
> "memmap" under <mount point>/firmware/efi/ in sysfs
> and exposes the efi memory map thru it.

I'm not generally opposed, but have a couple questions.

1) Why does userspace / humans need to know this? For debugging firmware?

2) Can the memory map output ever be larger than PAGE_SIZE (lower
limit is 4KB on x86)? If not, what guarantees that? If so, you need
your own read mechanism rather than the generic sysfs one.

The one-value-per-file rule has an exception for an array of values of
the same type per Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.txt, which this
looks to adhere to.

Thanks,
Matt

--