Re: 2Gb file size limit on 2.4.24, LVM and ext3?

From: Grzegorz Piotr Jaskiewicz
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 16:11:14 EST

Niccolo Rigacci wrote:

Hi to all!

I got a very strange problem: I can create files larger than 2
Gb (even 5 Gb), but I can't read them back.

- The simple "cat" command fails with:
# ls -la pippo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2147483648 May 6 17:03 pippo
# cat pippo
cat: pippo: Operation not permitted

- A file just 2kb under 2Gb, reads fine.

- If I do an "strace cat pippo" it works fine! So how can
I trace the problem further?

- The partition is an ext3 over LVM, kernel 2.4.24. Debian Woody
(glibc-2.2.5-11.5). Pentium 4 2.80GHz.
I tried both a quoted filesystem and a non quoted with same
results.

- On a very similar system I have no problem, the main
difference is using LVM here.

Is there a known issue? Can someone tell me how can trace down
the problem?

What's your glibc version ?

Old glibces didn't support large files.

--