Strange Linux behaviour!?

From: Oliver Pitzeier
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 03:33:01 EST

Hi folks!

Strange things are happinging some times, and here we have a new. :-)

We have a machine with five partitions mounted. One of those partitions
is /usr. We can created files on /usr, but we cannot created
directories. mkdir says, that there is no space left on device, but
there actually IS space as you can see and files can be created, so why
NO directories? Is it the kernel, is it the filesystem, is it the full
moon high in the sky? :-) I have no clue, but maybe you have... Any
help/idea is welcome!

Please have a look at this log:

uname -a
Linux apache2.dev.xxx.at 2.4.18-3 #1 Thu Apr 18 07:37:53 EDT 2002 i686
unknown

mount -l
/dev/sda7 on / type ext3 (rw) [/]
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw) [/boot]
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw) [/tmp]
/dev/sda2 on /usr type ext3 (rw) [/usr]
/dev/sda5 on /var/log type ext3 (rw) [/var/log]

df -h
/dev/sda7 10G 1.9G 8.0G 19% /
/dev/sda1 38M 15M 21M 40% /boot
none 504M 0 503M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda6 243M 103M 128M 45% /tmp
/dev/sda2 4.8G 703M 3.8G 16% /usr
/dev/sda5 648M 19M 597M 3% /var/log
/usr

cd /usr
mkdir test
mkdir: cannot create directory `test': No space left on device

cd /tmp
mkdir test
ls
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 May 7 09:08 test

mkdir --version
mkdir (fileutils) 4.1
Written by David MacKenzie.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Best regards,
Oliver