Re: events kthread gone crazy

From: David Gómez
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 04:17:37 EST

Hi ;),

> > I'm running kernel 2.6.5. I had running aMule and decided to preview
> > a file, using xine. Then, suddenly, xine opened but hanged and the
> > machine started to feel unresponsive and sluggish. I guessed that
> > the xine process was in D state, so i did a 'ps' and found this mess:
> [...]
> > 11569 ? SW< 0:00 \_ [events/0]
> > 11570 ? S< 0:00 | \_ /sbin/modprobe -q -- char_major_116_0
> > 11571 ? D< 0:00 | \_ /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> [Ad infinitum]
>
> It seems that ALSA is screwing something. Maybe you need to
> recompile ALSA binaries or something like that :???

I think i know the cause of the problem, i'll test it later. You had
to be careful with 'install' directives in modprobe.conf to not cause
circular dependencies, and i think maybe this is the problem. But this
shouldn't trash the kernel with a lot of processes in D state that
cannot be killed...

> > 85 tty3 S 0:00 into
>
> What the hell is that crap? X''DDDD

A init/login/getty clone programmed by some crazy bastard XDDD

> Have you seen where xine is disk sleeping. It should not matter
> to the sound problem, but...

I was wrong, xine and aMule had nothing to do with the problem. Just a
'modprobe snd' triggers the problem.

bye

--
David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra