Re: Distributions vs kernel development

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:11:21 EST

On 07.05.2004, at 18:22, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

Testing is very solid too, has 2.6 support out of the box, and more updated
desktop stuff (I run that on my laptop). Unstable seems more stable than most
vendors shipped distros to me, but changes more rapidly. They also seem to
break serial console occasionally in unstable by loading fonts into it
(idiots!), but that's trivial to fix.

I'm running Debian stable, Debian stable/testing (mix) and Debian unstable
with both customized 2.4 and 2.6 as well as stock 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
without any sign of problems. Of course lm-sensors on top of a stock 2.4
kernel will not fly but everything else works quite fine.

I might also add that I can test quite a few combinations because many
of my machines are netbooting and thus picking up a different version
is a easy as relinking a directory and this always needs a selfcompiled
kernel because of the nfsroot and ip autoconfiguration settings. The
downside is that I needed to make slight modifications to the systems
to have partly separated temp dirs without the need for one complete
installation per machine.

Servus,
Daniel