releasing page cached pages in 2.4.20

From: Rimaher Molanski
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 15:56:33 EST

Hi,
I'm conducting a small analysis of cache algorithms, and have run into problems trying to implement cache eviction in 2.4.20 kernel. I call try_to_release_page (with GFP_NOIO flag) on pages that aren't referenced by anything other than page cache and sometimes also the buffer cache. I sometimes do this call from inside the scheduler tq (a task_schedule function), if this is relevant.

Anyway, in certain scenarios I get deadlocked on the text.lock.buffer lock, and I have no idea which locks I must obtain (or any other prerequisites) before I can safely call try_to_release_page. Can anyone help on the requirements? Also, is there a simpler function I could call to get the job done?

Thanks,
Rimaher.