Re: Long boot delay with 2.6 on Tyan S2464 Dual Athlon

From: Bill Rugolsky Jr.
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 07:31:27 EST

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:02:38PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > I've tried numerous option combinations in both the BIOS and the
> > kernel: MPS 1.1/1.4, (no-)SMP, acpi=off, pci=noacpi, noapic, nolapic,
> > nousb, etc.
>
> Can you try adding earlyprintk=vga? That might help identify where it got
> stuck.

My original mail included the boot log of 2.6.6-mm1 with earlyprintk=vga.

Just to clarify: GRUB prints its message indicating the kernel and initrd
load addresses, and then I don't see the kernel banner,

Linux version 2.6.6-mm1 (rugolsky@thor) (gcc version 3.3.2 20031107 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-2)) #1 SMP Tue May 11 08:57:29 EDT 2004

for two minutes (exactly, or very close). I was hoping that someone could
point me in the direction of some timer that might be popping after two minutes.
Perhaps the two minute wait is just a red herring.

In any case, that machine had to be pressed into service. I'll try to reproduce
on another Tyan mobo, and step it in the kernel debugger. And perhaps I'll give
LinuxBIOS a try with 2.6, to see whether it is BIOS-specific.

Bill Rugolsky