Re: [Fastboot] Re: [announce] kexec for linux 2.6.6

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 03:10:15 EST

Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:37:27AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > The (old) kexec patch I have here implements the API which is described at
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/15468/. I doubt if it changed?
>
> That API looks sane to me.

yup. Here's the syscall itself, btw:

+/*
+ * Exec Kernel system call: for obvious reasons only root may call it.
+ *
+ * This call breaks up into three pieces.
+ * - A generic part which loads the new kernel from the current
+ * address space, and very carefully places the data in the
+ * allocated pages.
+ *
+ * - A generic part that interacts with the kernel and tells all of
+ * the devices to shut down. Preventing on-going dmas, and placing
+ * the devices in a consistent state so a later kernel can
+ * reinitialize them.
+ *
+ * - A machine specific part that includes the syscall number
+ * and the copies the image to it's final destination. And
+ * jumps into the image at entry.
+ *
+ * kexec does not sync, or unmount filesystems so if you need
+ * that to happen you need to do that yourself.
+ */
+struct kimage *kexec_image = 0;
+
+asmlinkage long sys_kexec_load(unsigned long entry, unsigned long nr_segments,
+ struct kexec_segment *segments, unsigned long flags)
+{

+struct kexec_segment {
+ void *buf;
+ size_t bufsz;