Re: dentry bloat.

From: Raghavan
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 05:34:11 EST

Hi,

The following is the output of dcachebench run on the 4 kernels:

Environment - 2-way P4 Xeon 2.4MHz SMP box with 4.5GB RAM.
Tests were run for 10 iterations to calculate the milliseconds/iteration
and then mean and deviation were calculated.

Kernel version Mean Standard Deviation
--------------- ---- ------------------

2.6.6-rc3(baseline) 10578 221

2.6.6 10280 110

2.6.6-bk 10862 30

2.6.6-mm1 10626 36

To find out if the huge performance dip between the 2.6.6
and 2.6.6-bk is because of the hash changes, I removed the hash patch
from 2.6.6-bk and applied it to 2.6.6.

2.6.6-bk with old hash 10685 34

2.6.6 with new hash 10496 125

Looks like the new hashing function has brought down the performance.
Also some code outside dcache.c and inode.c seems to have pushed down
the performance in 2.6.6-bk.

Raghav