Re: [patch] kill off PC9800

From: James Bottomley
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 16:40:14 EST

On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 16:28, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Although I like deleting things as much as the next guy :) I do have a
> question, to which I haven't come up with a good answer myself:
>
> Should PC9800 be excised en masse, or just toss the obviously broken or
> not-in-any-makefile/Kconfig pieces?
>
> The PC9800 net driver stuff still seems to build, and be sane.

I haven't looked at the net stuff but if it's like the SCSI stuff, it's
only usable in a pc9800. The vanilla kernel currently has no way to
select a pc9800 subarchitecture build.

This is a test of interest. Since the pc9800 can't build the vanilla
kernel, is anyone maintaining the out of tree pieces to allow it to
build, and would they take on the job of maintaining it in-tree? if
no-one's interested in maintaining the pc9800 subarchitecture
components, it stands to reason that no-one is going to be compiling or
running the net or scsi drivers, so there's no point keeping them
hanging around. Thus, if one piece goes, they all should.

James