Re: Hotplug events for system suspend/resume

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 08:24:11 EST

Hi!

> Hi, my main interest is embedded platforms that may or (usually) do not
> implement ACPI. Therefore, part of what I've been generally driving at
> is that there may be value to adding support for these sorts of
> kernel-to-userspace notifiers in the generic power layer. As I
> understand it (and I might be behind the times here, please do correct
> me if I'm wrong), acpid reads ACPI-specific power event notifiers, such
> as button pressed, thermal limit exceeded, etc. from the kernel via
> /proc, and acpid executes scripts in /etc/acpi/ to handle the event.
> Some of the embedded developers I deal with have asked for similar
> notifiers in a non-ACPI context. The system suspend/resume notifiers
> discussed in this thread could be thought of as a general form of "sleep
> button pressed" type event. (And I now realize it may have been better
> to implement and pitch it as such.)

Well, yes, generic "sleep button pressed" notifier is certainly better
idea. For example it does not have to be synchronous. I actaully like
that.

Is input subsystem any good? It might be as simple as defining keys
for POWER/SLEEP buttons and routing acpi events through even
subsystem...

Pavel
--
When do you have heart between your knees?