Re: _PAGE_PCD bit in DMAable memory

From: fc scsi
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 10:49:28 EST

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the information. Actually,
the code will have to run on Intel Xscale
processor(ARM based). Since I don't have Linux running
on the board as of now, I was trying out things on my
i386 machine to get non-cacheable memory. That was
when I thought that GFP_DMA should give me
non-cacheable memory(_PAGE_PCD on i386 should be set
for such a memory, and L_PTE_CACHEABLE should be clear
on Xscale by this analogy). But, as you have explained
_PAGE_PCD need not be set for non-cacheable memory for
i386. I am new to Xscale architecture and don't know
if pci_alloc_consistent() will give me non-cacheable
memory or not. Can anyone who has worked on Xscale
confirm this.

Another curiousity for me is, if
pci_alloc_consistent() gives non-cacheable memory for
Xscale(arm) then will the L_PTE_CACHEABLE bit set in
it or not?

Anyway, thanks Roland for the previous answer. It was
a great help.

Regards.