Re: libata Promise driver regression 2.6.5->2.6.6

From: Brad Campbell
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 08:20:05 EST

Against my better judgment I'm going to send this again as I have been having problems with a particularly faulty mail server randomly blackholing outgoing mail and I have not seen this in the archives after about 20 hours. Apologies if this arrives twice. I have temporarily subscribed to the list.

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Interesting.

Well since it's not global behavior, but isolated to one port or card, I still worry about non-libata things:
1) is a SATA cable bad, or not plugged in well? I'm finding that it's easier to screw up SATA cabling than PATA. It's more-convenient design is also less rugged.

Nup, all seated fine and working perfectly well (and I mean raid-5 across all 10 disks and spraying
data at maximum PCI speed for 8 hours at a time well) with 2.6.5, and they are Supermicro cables
SATA cables with a pair of 5 bay Supermicro Hotswap bays so the quality is pretty good.

2) is a PCI slot bad, or not busmastering like it should? have you tried moving the card to another PCI slot?

I hadn't, but I just gutted the system and did a heap of card shuffles.. it ain't that.

3) is it always the 9th port, regardless of the ordering of the PCI cards in PCI slots?

Nup, but it's always appears to be on the 3rd card. Pull one of the cards and it's sweet.

I apologize if you answered some of these in a previous message.

I hadn't, but I have now :p)

Under all these circumstances, 2.6.5 would boot fine. These tests were done with 2.6.5 and the patch
you supplied me.

I can even pull all the drives from boards 1&2 (drives 0-7) and it will lock hard on drive 8.

If I pull the 3rd card then it all behaves perfectly no matter what I do to it. I have relocated the
3rd card in other slots to change the detection order and it always *seems* to die on the 3rd
initialised card, no matter what slot.

Strange, No?

Brad
(I have knocked the other guys from the CC: as it does not appear to be ACPI related)