Re: ANNOUNCE: CE Linux Forum - Specification V1.0 draft

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 10:28:07 EST

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:22:29PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:05:36PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
> >
> >>I am writing to announce the availability of the first draft of
> >>the CE Linux Forum's first specification. This specification
> >>represents the efforts of six different technical working groups
> >>over about the last 9 months.
> >

> >If you want my 2Cent:
> >
> > - stop these rather useless specifications and provide patchkits instead
> > - try to actually submit the patches upstream to get a feeling which
> > of your 'features' are compltely hopeless, which are okay and which
> > can better be solved in different ways.
>
> I should point out that some of the features specified have already been
> submitted as patchsets. Some were accepted and are in 2.6. Some were
> rejected, and we are considering the feedback received... (But, we're
> still hopeful that in the long run, we can make certain things
> acceptable for inclusion in the mainline tree.)
>
> The submissions, so far, have come from member companies or individuals
> rather than from the forum itself.

A good example that this is true is section 7.9.2 of your
"specification".

It lists under "Work in Progress":
Kernel SHALL be configuralble with compiler size options, such as -Os.

Besides the text in the "Rationale" being obviously wrong, this is
already implemented in kernel 2.6. But the people writing this
"specification" didn't send a patch - the trivial patch was sent by
someone who is in no way related to your "Forum".

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed