Re: source changes without kernel re-compiling

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 12:26:44 EST

On Wed, 19 May 2004, sai narasimhamurthy wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am working with the Linux networking source code for
> the first time.
> I am working with the file tcp.c in
> /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 . Everytime I make a small
> change, I recompile the kernel. Is there any way to
> get the changes in tcp.c (or any file in /ipv4 , for
> that matter) reflected without kernel re-compiling, so
> that it saves time?
> Sai

You modify the source, then you return to the top-level
directory and execute `make bzImage` or `make modules`
if you are modifying a module. Only the file(s) that
you modify will get compiled. The final link, of course,
gets done. But that's only a second or two.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5557.45 BogoMips).