Re: No forces rebuild while changing GCC?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 15:16:55 EST

On Thu, 2004-05-20 20:56:35 +0200, Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040520185635.GA4256@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:16:17PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
[While changing gcc, ...]
> > How can I force to keep my old .o files?
>
> This is not easy. kbuild uses a number of measures to check dependencies:
> 1) Changes in commandline, including name of binary
> - Order is not relevant, only content

So I'll compare old gcc's command line with new gcc's.

> 2) Compiler version used for version.h
> - To avoid this remove the FORCE in init/Makefile

Done.

> 3) Usual dependencies, including stdarg.h which is part of the compiler
> include files

Argh...

> 4) Change in configuration relevant for that specific file

Argh, too:)

> I think you are hit by 1) in your case.
> Do you use same name for both gcc versions?

Both are just "vax-linux-gcc". I choose between them by altering $PATH
before I call "make mopboot".

> Otherwise it will fail as you describe (actually work as expected).

Right... It works as expectes and tried hard to build a consistent
kernel (actually, you did a great job at that!).

> Try to compare to commandlines when using "make V=1", to check what gcc
> kbuild uses.

Will do. Ah.

"-Wdeclaration-after-statement" is added to command line iff gcc accepts
it. The new one does, the old one didn't. Now commented out:) Works.

Thanks, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg