Re: file attributes (ext2/3) in 2.4.26

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 17:02:08 EST

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 08:51:41PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> is it intentional that the file attributes
> (those accessible with chattr -*) are modifyable
> even if a file has the 'i' immutable flag set,
> and the user is lacking CAP_IMMUTABLE (or all
> CAPs if you prefer that ;)
>
> # touch /tmp/x
> # chattr +iaA /tmp/x
>
> # lcap -z
> # chattr -i /tmp/x
> chattr: Operation not permitted while setting flags on /tmp/x
>
> # chattr -A /tmp/x
> # lsattr /tmp/x
> ----ia------- /tmp/x
>
> I'd consider this a bug, but it might be some
> strange posix/linux conformance issue too ...
>
> let me know if this _is_ a bug, if so, I'm
> willing to provide patches to fix it ...

Hi Herbert,

The chattr man page says

A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted
or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be
written to the file. Only the superuser or a process possessing the
CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute.

You still can modify other flags from the file, right?