Re: [RFC] sysfs kobject that doesn't trigger hotplug events

From: John Zielinski
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 20:29:12 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

You are wasting 4 bytes for every kobject out there. Just implement your
private hotplug callback that would return something like -ENODEV so the
hotplug helper would not be called. If needed you can call kobject_hotplug
later, when you are ready.

Actually for every kobj_type structure, not for every kobject. Doing a quick scan through the kernel I found 25 kobj_type decelerations so that would add up to 100 bytes only. And that could be made a byte or flags field.

I wasn't sure if it was possible to create a subsystem that wasn't a part of the sysfs tree that contained kobjects that were. Looking trough the code again it looks like it is so I'll use the hotplug filter as you suggest.

John