Re: libata 2.6.5->2.6.6 regression -part II

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 20:55:39 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Monday 17 of May 2004 18:34, Brad Campbell wrote:

G'day all,
I caught the suggestion on my last post in the archives, but because I'm
not subscribed and wasn't cc'd I can't keep it threaded.

I tried backing out the suggested acpi patch (No difference at all), and I
managed to get apic to work but it still hangs solid in the same place.

dmesg attached.

I managed to figure out that the VIA ATA driver captures my sata drives on
the via ports, explaining why sata_via misses them, but writing data to
those drives (hde & hdg) causes dma timeouts and locks the machine. No
useful debug info produced. The machine becomes non-responsive, throws a
couple of dma timeouts to the console and then loses all interactivity
(keyboard, serial, network) forcing a reset push.

Is there any way I can prevent the VIA ATA driver capturing this device?
Unfortunately my boot drive is on hda on the on-board VIA ATA interface so
I need it compiled in.

Disable the fscking PCI IDE generic driver.
[ You are not the first one tricked by it. ]

AFAIR support for VIA 8237 was added to it before sata_via.c was ready.
[ but my memory is... ]

What would happen if the generic driver was initialized last? That would let other more specific drivers grab devices first. The model which comes to mind is a route table, smallest subnet (or in this case most specific) being used first. Or would that open a whole other nest of snakes?

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)