Re: Suspend2 merge preparation: Rationale behind the freezer changes.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 21:39:09 EST

Hi.

Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2004 14:28 schrieb Nigel Cunningham:
Yes, but what order? I played with that problem for ages. Perhaps I just didn't find the right combination.
How about recording the order of creation and do it in opposite order?

We could add a field to the process struct to record that. (Since PIDs can wrap, they can't be relied upon for this).

One potential problem is that we'd race with processes that were forking, but that's a problem with the existing implementation anyway.

I can see that the only way I'm going to convince people that we need the method I settled on is by showing the deficiencies of the current one :<

Nigel
--
Nigel & Michelle Cunningham
C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.