Re: ioctl number 0xF3

From: Thomas Winischhofer
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 07:42:15 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 14:08, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

I would like to reserve ioctl's 0xF3 00-40 for the SiS framebuffer device driver (2.4 and 2.6).

Any oppositions?

well you don't say what you want to use it for.... so nobody can see if
those ioctls should become generic, if they are 32/64 bit safe etc etc.
Might be a good idea to post the ioctl interface to the list as well.

I intend using them for controlling SiS hardware specific settings like switching output devices, checking modes against output devices, repositioning TV output, scaling TV output, changing gamma correction, tuning video parameters, and the like. The goal is to be able to write a program similar to what sisctrl is for X (see my website for details on sisctrl).

I have no list yet as I first wanted to know if somebody opposes for reasons like 0xf3/0x0-0x40 being used by another driver already. I quickly grep-ed but found none.

And rest assured, they will be 32/64 bit safe. Not sure what you mean by "ioctl interface" here but have a look at the Matrox framebuffer driver which uses some 'n' ioctls for similar stuff (which in that way do not apply to the SiS hardware which is why I can't reuse them).

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria