Re: tvtime and the Linux 2.6 scheduler

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 11:55:46 EST

Hi

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:48 am, Billy Biggs wrote:
> I am the author of tvtime, a TV application with advanced image
> processing algorithms. Some users are complaining about poor
> performance under Linux 2.6, and I would like more information about how
> tvtime will be treated by the scheduler. Here is an example of the
> intended usage:
>
> - Program running as root and SCHED_FIFO

snip

> 33 ms : time per NTSC frame

snip

The followup email from someone describing good performance may help us
understand what's going on. Your example of poor performance is one when the
cpu performance is marginal to get exactly 30 fps processed and on the
screen. The cpu overhead in 2.6 is slightly higher than 2.4 so a borderline
case may be just pushed over.

A program running as sched_fifo it will preempt absolutely everything
regardless of how it behaves. It sounds like it's giving X less cpu time to
draw the frame each time until eventually the processing fails to capture the
frame and then X smooths out again. I cant pretend to understand how your
application blocks (as you say) between X and tvtime, but does tvtime not try
to schedule until X has finished using up cpu or will it just run off the
timer and preempt X away? You say changing priorities doesnt help, but I cant
tell if you tried this: run the processing sched_normal at lower priority
than X.

Con