Help understanding slow down

From: Phy Prabab
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 19:32:59 EST

Hello,

I need some help understanding what is at issue with
the extreme lsow down in build times for a custom
executable on different kernel versions. The
difference is pretty huge:

RH 2.4.20-13-7 : ~1m.10s
2.4.22 : ~1m.40s
2.4.26 : ~2m.15s
2.6.1 : ~3m.40s
2.6.2 : ~4m.00s
2.6.3 : ~4m.00s
2.6.6 : ~3m.15s
2.6.6-mm4 : ~2m.10s
2.6.6-mm5 : ~2m.50s
2.6.7-p1 : ~2m.80s
(ran five times on every kernel to get approximate
time listed)

The question is, how can I get the newer kernels to
scream like the older kernels?

I have moved all files in question to the local disk
to rule out network issues (though the 2.6.x kernels
are faster at net access). I have run the make
command in debug mode and find no differnce betHz w/8G
RAM.

Thank you for your assistance.
Phy