Multicast problems between 2.4.20 and 2.4.21?

From: Frank Lind
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 15:41:28 EST

Hi,

Was there ever a resolution to the multicast issues with kernels beyond 2.4.20?

I have a very similar problem that has shown up with code which works fine prior with 2.4.20-6smp (Redhat 9) and then stops working for later kernels. I ran into this upgrading a machine to RedHat Enterprise (2.4.21-9.ELsmp) but it also happens under Fedora (2.6.5-1.358smp). I was going to try some separate kernel compiles and also a different distribution when I get a chance to try to localize the change. I haven't been able to find a clear reason why this is happening yet. I was wondering if anyone had any additional insights beyond what showed up in the kernel mailing lists so far (i.e. Any changes in Multicast code between 2.4.20 and 2.4.22/23)?

I am able to get the multicasting to work under these kernels by changing my bind calls to use the INADDR_ANY instead of binding to the address and port I'm using for the multicast group. I haven't found good documentation that this is the "correct" way to do this but I ran into some comments for multicast under ipv6 which made me think it was worth a try. This substitution gets the machines multicasting but I've had some problems that appear to be the switch selectively deciding to deliver data or not depending on if certain machines connect to the multicast group. (This needs more testing but basically if a machine using the 2.4.20 kernel joins then some of the newer kernel machines stop getting packets for reasons I don't understand yet).

I noted it was asked why the network switch might matter. There is a note from HP on their Procurve switches indicates that certain IP addresses are not IGMP filtered. In particular 224.0.0.x gets no IGMP filtering :

http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/IGMP_Tech_Note.pdf

I got bit by this one a while back in that my network was getting flooded despite using IGMP in the code.

-- Frank

--
Frank D. Lind email: flind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MIT Haystack Observatory WWW: http://www.haystack.mit.edu