Re: MORE THAN 10 IDE CONTROLLERS

From: baptiste coudurier
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 08:53:07 EST

Eugeny S. Mints wrote:
| Christian Kujau wrote:
|
| baptiste coudurier schrieb:
| | Does anyone know what are major/minors for hdu, hdv, hdw, hdx ?
|
| not being a professional, i see:
|
| evil@sheep:~$ la /dev/hd?
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 0 2004-03-10 11:33 /dev/hda
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 64 2004-03-10 11:33 /dev/hdb
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 2004-03-10 11:33 /dev/hdc
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 64 2004-03-10 11:33 /dev/hdd
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 33, 0 2004-03-10 11:40 /dev/hde
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 33, 64 2004-03-10 11:40 /dev/hdf
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 34, 0 2004-03-10 11:40 /dev/hdg
| brw-rw---- 1 root disk 34, 64 2004-03-10 11:40 /dev/hdh
|
| so, it's a major number for every controller (e.g. "22" for hdc+hdd each
| belonging to one controller). hdi+hdj would be major 35, minor [0|64] ?
| i'd try this out for hdx and further...
|

|> afaik even the 2.6.x kernel defines only 10 major numbers for IDE
|> devices (from 0 upto 9). All are predefined - see include/linux/major.h
|

| did you try devfs/udev? perhaps it could solve this by itsself....?
|
| Christian.
|
| PS: maybe Documentation/devices.txt helps out too.
|
| --
| BOFH excuse #75:
|
| There isn't any problem

I finally patched the kernel sucessfully, adding some new major numbers

Everything seems to work fine execpt for hdparm yet. Im still working on it.
I can supply a patch if anyone is interested.
Thks for your help

- --
Baptiste Coudurier UIN : 1980693
Debian GNU/Linux user ESF Courchevel 1850
GnuPG fp: 8D77 134D 20CC 9220 201F:C5DB 0AC9 325C 5C1A BAAA
checking for life_signs in -lKenny... no