RE: why swap at all?

From: Buddy Lumpkin
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 02:29:49 EST

This is a really good point. I think the bar should be set at max
performance for systems that never need to use the swap device.

If someone wants to tune swap performance to their hearts content, so be it.
But given cheap prices for memory, and the horrible best case performance
for swap, an increase in swap performance should never, ever come at the
expense of performance for a system that has been sized such that executable
address spaces, libraries and anonymous memory will fit easily within
physical ram.

This of course doesn't address the VM paging storms that happen due to large
amounts of file system writes. Once the pagecache fills up, dirty pages must
be evicted from the pagecache so that new pages can be added to the
pagecache.

--Buddy