Re: why swap at all?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 05:36:00 EST

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 07:48:10PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

John Bradford wrote:

Quote from Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Even for systems that don't *need* the extra memory space, swap can
actually provide performance improvements by allowing unused memory
to be replaced with often-used memory.

That's true, but it's not a magical property of swap space - extra physical
RAM would do more or less the same thing.

Well it is a magical property of swap space, because extra RAM
doesn't allow you to replace unused memory with often used memory.

The theory holds true no matter how much RAM you have. Swap can
improve performance. It can be trivially demonstrated.

The other way around can be "demonstrated" equally trivially.

In my personal machine i have 3GB of RAM and i regularly create
DVD-ISO-Images (about 2 per day). After creating an image (reading up to
4,4GB and writing up to 4,4GB) the cache is 100% trashed(1). With swap
it would be even more trashed then it is without swap(1).

I don't disagree that you could find a situation where swap
is worse than no swap. I don't understand what you mean by
trashed and more trashed though :)

Creating your ISOs makes your system swap a lot when swap
is enabled?

1: This has "always(tm)" been so since i began burning DVDs 3 years ago.
Beginning from kernel 2.4.4-2.4.25 and 2.6.4-2.6.6. Currently i use 2.6.5. (This is no typo!)

I have only tested the "with swap"-case with 2.4.4 as i didn't use swap
after 2.4.4 trashed so badly with swap enabled. But i don't think that
things have changed so fundamentaly that the "with swap"-case is
better(FOR ME!) than the "without swap"-case.

The 2.6 VM has changed pretty fundamentally. It would be good
if you could retest.