Re: 4k stacks in 2.6

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 08:00:03 EST

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 02:50:14PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:

> Experience indicates that for whatever reason, big stack consumers for
> all three contexts never hit at the same time. Big stack consumers
> for one context happen too often, though. "Too often" may be quite
> rare, but considering the result of a stack overflow, even "quite
> rare" is too much. "Never" is the only acceptable target.

Actually it's not mever in 2.4. It does get here there by our customers once
in a while. Esp with several NICs hitting an irq on the same CPU (eg the irq
context goes over it's 2Kb limit)

> done, a stack overflow will merely cause a kernel panic. Until then,
> I am just as conservative as Andreas.

actually the 4k stacks approach gives MORE breathing room for the problem
cases that are getting hit by our customers...