Re: 4k stacks in 2.6

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 08:21:54 EST

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 03:00:47PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> > > Experience indicates that for whatever reason, big stack consumers for
> > > all three contexts never hit at the same time. Big stack consumers
> > > for one context happen too often, though. "Too often" may be quite
> > > rare, but considering the result of a stack overflow, even "quite
> > > rare" is too much. "Never" is the only acceptable target.
> >

> > actually the 4k stacks approach gives MORE breathing room for the problem
> > cases that are getting hit by our customers...
>
> For the cases you described, yes. For some others like nvidia, no.
> Not sure if we want to make things worse for some users in order to
> improve things for others (better paying ones?). I want the seperate

You used the word "Never" and now you go away from it.... It wasn't Never,
and it will never be never if you want to include random binary only
modules. However in 2.4 for all intents and pruposes there was 4Kb already,
and now there still is, for user context. Because those interrupts DO
happen. NVidia was a walking timebomb, and with one function using 4Kb
that's an obvious Needs-Fix case. The kernel had a few of those in rare
drivers, most of which have been fixed by now. It'll never be never, but it
never was never either.