Re: [Fwd: Re: drivers DB and id/ info registration]

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 14:56:17 EST

On Thu, 27 May 2004 05:34:11 +1000, Zenaan Harkness <zen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Except if a manufacturer actually went to the trouble of listing their
> device id, name and email or web contact, then they may well get a
> better picture of how many people are (attempting) to user their device
> on a free os.

I suspect that the number of companies that have realized that there is a
market outside Wintel, but who haven't done *anything* to support it,
is vanishingly small.

> So of course, the question is how many companies will submit only
> device identification information?

Probably very few. Among other things, doing that flags the company as
"yes, we *do* realize you guys are a market, but not one worth writing a
driver for". That's worse PR for the company than "they haven't Heard
The Word yet...."