Re: [Fwd: Re: drivers DB and id/ info registration]

From: Zenaan Harkness
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 15:12:04 EST

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 05:55, Greg KH wrote:
> Remember, an id by itself is pointless. We need specs and drivers that
> work for those specs. You should concentrate on that goal instead of
> worrying about ids.

Of course there would be provision for "submit willing to code", "submit
specs" etc - a support- and interest- garnering site.

> > Perhaps users can submit some, and surely at least _some_ companies,
> > and/ or their employees, will do so too.
> >
> > Still pointless?
>
> As we are going to rip the pci.ids file out of the 2.7 kernel tree,
> pretty much so :)

Hmm, I guess lkml is going to be pretty well kernel-centric.

Are you saying "it'll be ripped out and discarded forever" or
"ripped out and placed in userspace where it always shoulda been"?

I'm still not convinced that having comprehensive device recognition
is pointless (but I'm not trying to push something that excludes
drivers here either ...).

ta
zen