Re: Filesystem space accounting bug

From: Calvin Spealman
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 20:01:20 EST

I had a similar problem a few days ago. My wife was working in GIMP and
called me in, complaining about an Out Of Space error. I didn't find it out
of the ordinary, so I removed lots of temp files and tarballs of things
already installed. I cleared up a few gigs.

A few hours later, she got the same errors. I deleted all the videos I
already had backed-up on CD, since my DVD player can play those anyway.

A few hours later, she got the same errors. I knew at this point something
weird was going on. A few friends suggested my system had been compromised,
but I knew better. Eventually I tried rebooting to a Live CD, so I could
run fsck.ext3, but everything now looked fine. I haven't had the problem
since, and I have no idea what caused it.