Re: 4k stacks in 2.6

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 06:29:04 EST

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:32:32 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> Change gcc to catch stack overflows before the fact and disallow
> >> module load unless modules have those checks as well.
>
> It's impossible to do anything but panic, so it's not too helpful
> in practice.

Oh, panic is *very* helpful. Panic won't do random funny things, it
will just stop the machine. If we got an immediate panic on any stack
overflow, I would want 4k stacks right now.

> > That's easy, just enable profiling then implement a suitable
> > _mcount that checks for stack overflow. I bet someone has done
> > this already.
>
> I did it for x86-64 a long time ago. Should be easy to port to i386
> too.
>
> ftp://ftp.x86-64.org/pub/linux/debug/stackcheck-1

Cool! If that is included, I don't have any objections against 4k
stacks anymore.

Jörn

--
The cheapest, fastest and most reliable components of a computer
system are those that aren't there.