Re: 4k stacks in 2.6

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 09:19:13 EST

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:49:50 +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 01:27:05PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> > Cool! If that is included, I don't have any objections against 4k
> > stacks anymore.
>
> note that it will introduce an huge slowdown, there's no way to enable
> that in production. But for testing it's fine.

Would it be possible to add something short to the function preamble
on x86 then? Similar to this code, maybe:

if (!(stack_pointer & 0xe00)) /* less than 512 bytes left */
*NULL = 1;

Not sure how this can be translated into short and fast x86 assembler,
but if it is possible, I would really like to have it. Then all we
have left to do is make sure no function ever uses more than 512
bytes. Famous last words, I know.

Jörn

--
Time? What's that? Time is only worth what you do with it.
-- Theo de Raadt