Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 08:34:38 EST

Sau Dan Lee wrote:
> Yeah. They say the input system "unifies" the interface to
> keyboard/mouse devices. They're also proud that the in-kernel
> keyboard/mouse drivers are supporting more and more devices. But at
> the same time, they're sacrificing flexibility by moving many codes
> into kernel. (GPM supports more mouse types!) The new system also
> breaks backward compatibility.

The new system has some ups and downs. The biggest "down",
which is that of RAW mode not being available anymore (it's
emulated!) could be circumvented by having both the RAW and
translated codes move between layers.

Concerning GPM vs kernel support for mice, maybe we can hope
for a merging of the efforts and a reduction of code
duplication, if there is any?

Overall, I think that the new system *could* be a good starting
point, but it still needs a *lot* of work.

(Now, if we could have any reply from the maintainers?)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense