Re: [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 10:08:47 EST

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 06:24:36AM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Not in any useful way. If I go look at the file history, which is what
> I'm going to do when tracking down a bug, all I see on the files included
> in this changeset is akpm@xxxxxxxxx
>
> That means any annotated listing (BK or CVS blame) shows the wrong author.

One of the ways that I often use for tracking down potential fixes is
to simply do "bk changes > /tmp/foo" and then use emacs's incremental
search to look for interesting potential changes. (I know, you're
probably throwing up all over your keyboard just about now. :-)

One "interesting" thing I've wished for is to be able to do "bk
revtool drivers/net/wireless/airo.c", and then when I put my mouse
over a particular line number, have it display in a little popup box
the changelog description of whatever line my mouse happened to
be over. It would be a real pain to try to implement that in tcl/Tk,
though.... that would make it easier to solve the specific problem
you've mentioned of "bk blame" showing the wrong author when looking
at a particular source file.

- Ted