Re: Linux 2.6.7-rc2

From: Danny ter Haar
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 08:25:10 EST

Danny ter Haar <dth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Ethernet stopped working (for me) going from 2.6.7-rc1-bk3 to 2.6.7-rc2.
>>> AMD64/asusK8V with onboard ethernet.
>>> 2.6.7-rc1-bk3 worked like intended.

>make menuconfig i cannot get into the submenu
>device drivers ->
> networking support ->
> Gigabit Ethernet (1000/10000 Mbit) --->
>
>whereas with 10/100 Mbit ethernet i can.
>Little flaw elsewhere!

I remembered other artikel about gig-E problems, so after re-reading
this cured it:
****************
From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[1] Gigabit Kconfig problems with yesterday's update

I have one machine with a gigabit NIC which I updated today from Linus'
bk tree.

The problem is that I was not asked if I wanted the 'new' gigabit
support and therefore the tg3 support was dropped from my new .config.

I edited .config by hand and deleted any mention of ethernet support --
and only then did 'make oldconfig' ask me the right questions.

Also: the phrase (10 or 100Mbit) should be deleted from the 'Ethernet'
menu item since it implies (wrongly) that the item is not needed for
gigabit support.

Danny
--
"If Microsoft had been the innovative company that it calls itself, it
would have taken the opportunity to take a radical leap beyond the Mac,