Re: Why is proper NTFS-driver difficult?

From: Pawel Kot
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 15:44:16 EST

On Sunday 30 May 2004 19:54, Martin Olsson wrote:

Hi Martin,

> I was wondering why is there no Linux NTFS-driver which allows full
> writing etc? Is there something that makes this particular difficult to
> implement? I mean Linux supports so many file systems, why has proper
> NTFS support been neglected?

Because it is not easy. NTFS has very sophisticated structure, not documented
anywhere but already reverse engineered and partially documented at
linux-ntfs project page (http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/).

As I said this is not easy task and as such it is time consuming. All
linux-ntfs developers are volunteers and not paid for this work. It means
that all code is written in the free time. Much time was also spent on
helping users (this will change now, see the manifest on the project page).

To summarize, the write support will appear sooner or later, if you volunteer
to help, you are very welcome.

I'm ccing ntfs-dev list which is a better place to discuss such topics.

take care,
pkot
--
mailto:pkot@xxxxxxxxxxx