Re: Fw: Re: keyboard problem with 2.6.6

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 16:28:56 EST

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 10:51:18PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> > Interesting. Nevertheless it's just a naming difference, and thus
> > shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Well, it's not just that, not if we want Meta kernel keys to
> become Meta X keys. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, since it
> would mean we'd have the keyboard acting the same under console
> and X. But in this case it would be nice if Linux knew about
> more modifiers than just shift, ctrl, alt, meta.

Keep in mind that the kernel keys we're talking about are keycodes, not
keysyms, and thus are not a result of a keymap. On the other hand, the
xkb tables you've shown are for keysyms.

The equivalences are:

Kernel XKB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KEY_LEFTALT == key <LALT>
KEY_RIGHTALT == key <RALT>
KEY_LEFTMETA == key <LWIN>
KEY_RIGHTMETA == key <RWIN>
KEY_COMPOSE == key <MENU>

There is a 1:1 mapping.

Now, if you want to make them _do_ the same both in X and on console,
then we're talking keymaps, and there I think is no problem again,
because the kernel can handle up to 9 modifiers as far as I know,
although they don't all have names.

linux/keyboard.h:#define NR_SHIFT 9

--
Vojtech Pavlik