Re: Resume enhancement: restore pci config space

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 11:40:24 EST

On Sun, 2004-05-30 20:40:31 +0200, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040530184031.GF997@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > One can rightfully argue that the driver resume method should do this, and
> > yes that is right. So the patch only does it for devices that don't have a
> > resume method. Like the main PCI bridge on my testbox of which the bios so
> > nicely forgets to restore the bus master bit during resume.. With this patch
> > my testbox resumes just fine while it, well, wasn't all too happy as you can
> > imagine without a busmaster pci bridge.

All that reminds me... The PCI subsystem should probably record any PCI
device's initial configuration state after boot-up and restore those
settings before system reboot. Code like that was already in place
(during 2.2.x cycle IIRC) for Alphas, but got lost somewhen (and was
never added again). Upon reboot, Alphas (with current 2.6.x) running SRM
firmware might crash horribly because of "misconfigured" PCI devices.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg