Re: why swap at all? (what the user feels)

From: Martin Olsson
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 12:42:50 EST

Hi,

From a pure *users* perspective the most evil part of my computer is the harddrive, because it has three bad properties;

-- its slowing stuff down
-- its very noisy
-- its sucks my battery dry (on laptops)

I dont care as much about how fast or efficient the swapping system really is, what does annoy me is when it lets me down. Say I do some action repeatedly every once in a while and it always takes about X milliseconds, when after a while that same action takes 2*X milliseconds. Now I'm DISAPPOINTED and I got a grudge with kswapd.

Its *emotionally* more 'okay' for the harddrive to its thing when I initiate it through some action (launching program, copying files) because then I expect it.

From what I've read previously in this thread, it seems to me that the only major problem with swapping that not all users want file system cache to swap out actual applications (thus making that somewhat aged mozilla window abit laggy).

Maybe we could just have a "Allow file system cache to swap out applications checkbox somewhere"?

Or, Am I missing something?

Sincerly,
/m