Re: two patches - request for comments

From: Andrew Zabolotny
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 16:59:49 EST

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:23:11 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Typical Linux usage to an item being registered is
> ptr = alloc_foo()
> register_foo(ptr)
> unregister_foo(ptr)
> free_foo()
In this case it is:

register_lcd_device("foo", ...);
unregister_lcd_device("foo");

The name is guaranteed to be unique by sysfs design during the whole
device lifetime, and calling unregister_xxx() outside the lifetime brackets
is clearly an error.

> It is quite unusual to unregister based on name. Pointers are far more
> likely to be unique, and the programmer is far less likely to screw up
> the unregister operation.
I understand this, I see why it looks unusual. I'll fix this if it matters.
It'll be something like:

lcd_device = register_lcd_device ("foo", ...);
unregister_lcd_device (lcd_device);

However, this extra pointer will take some memory; not much of course.

--
Greetings,
Andrew